KZN: The Valley of a 1000 Hills Community Tourism Organisation is supporting the 2021 MyLife Dusi Canoe Marathon taking place from 18 to 20 March, offering special deals and offers for Dusi participants and supporters.
After a year of Covid-19 lockdown frustrations, paddlers are looking forward to the race and are happily complying with layers of safety protocols to make sure the iconic three-day paddle from Camps Drift in Pietermaritzburg to Durban can happen safely and live up to its traditional hype and excitement. The organisers have worked closely with Canoeing South Africa and local authorities to stage the race safely.
2021 will be the 70th anniversary of the iconic race and this year it will be different. The Covid-19 regulations mean no spectators, no registration or prize giving, no social events and all the usual requirements to mask-up, sanitise and remain socially distant.
The Valley of a 1000 Hills Community Tourism Organisation is delighted that the Dusi is taking place. The members are adding value to the event by offering a range of special deals and offers to encourage Dusi guests to spend time in the hills – all thousand of them!
“We are aware that this year supporters, spectators and family may not be actively encouraging the paddlers from the banks of the rivers – so we want to remind non-paddlers of the many things to do in the vicinity, while the race is in progress,” says Paul Paine – Chair of 1000 Hills Tourism CTO.
“We have accommodation options available – and things to do during the day: from hiking to shopping; to going on a safari game drive to fine dining; from doing a forest walk through the quirky AmmaZulu Garden and Sculpture in Kloof, to visiting a reptile park; from relaxing at a spa to adventure sport; visit the weekly Shongweni Farmers and Craft Market on Saturday morning; take a walk through the Kranzkloof Nature Reserve up to the Molweni Falls and into the Kloof Gorge – or simply enjoying the magnificent view with a cappuccino and a good book at any of our coffee shops, ” he said.
Of special mention is the Umgeni Steam Train which has trips over the Dusi weekend: Sat 20 March @ 12.30am and Sunday 21 March @ 8.30am and 12.30pm departing from and returning to Stokers Arms in Kloof with a stop at Inchanga Station where one can browse around the Inchanga community market.
Special Dusi Offers
- Pot and Kettle: Discounts on Breakfast and Lunch
- Lemon Tree B&B: accommodation at 2020 prices
- Grassroots B&B: 20% discount / minimum 2 nights
- Eagles View: accommodation 10% discount and free breakfast
- Rooms with a view: stay three nights and pay for two
- Barker Manor: stay three nights and pay for two
- PheZulu Lodge: R400 PP sharing, bed only.
- PheZulu is offering a two for the price of one, from Tues to Friday for their guided hikes and for entry to their reptile park. There is also currently an early bird R39 breakfast special being offered for diners before 10am.
- Valley Lodge: 15% off accommodation
To qualify for these discounts, simply tell the establishment you are participating in the Dusi. Either a paddler, seconder or family.
No matter how stark the differences will be, the 70th edition of the MyLife Dusi promises to electrify the Valley of a 1000 Hills in March.
- The Covid regs for the race here available here https://dusi.co.za/covid-19-regulations/ In short paddlers must to be dropped off just before they start and leave as soon as they have finished. They must wear masks before and after the race each day. They must comply with the usual Covid screening protocols. No spectators allowed at all. There will be no gathering like registration or prizegiving..
- The event website is at www.dusi.co.za the Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/DusiCanoeMarathon/ the Instagram account is https://www.instagram.com/dusicanoemarathon/ and Twitter https://twitter.com/DusiCanoe
- To find out about these and other things to do in the area – visit The Valley of a 1000 Hills Community Tourism Organisation website at https://www.1000hillstourism.co.za/
- Or watch their promo video: YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyzlnGsA6Zg
- Booking for the steam train: http://umgenisteamrailway.com/
All pics are by Anthony Grote / Gameplan Media
Additional photos and info on request
Photos available in a higher resolution
For media info on 1000 Hills
- Illa thompson
- 083 326 3234
Info media on MyLife Dusi Canoe Marathon:
- Dave Macleod
- Tel 031 764 3017